Here's today's AdExchanger.com news round-up... Want it by email? Sign-up here.
Addressable TV Growth Spurt
Programmatic TV will draw $10 billion in spend by 2019, according to data from IPG Mediabrands’ Magna Global. That will represent an approximate tripling from $3.5 billion, or 4% of US TV budgets, this year. “It's nascent and can only grow from here," Magna Global’s EVP of global forecasting, Vincent Letang, told Ad Age. Letang said household addressability is about to take off as more MSOs activate targeting on set-top boxes.
Mobile Reality Check
Writing for The Wall Street Journal, Mike Shields challenges Mary Meeker’s assumption that mobile ad revenues will catch up with user growth. “Many advertisers – particularly those focused on brand-focused campaigns – haven’t necessarily bought into mobile as [an] effective ad medium.” What if it’s not about reallocating, but “right-sizing”? Read it.
Time For Change
Time and other publications are tinkering with their paywall, subscription and membership practices in an effort to remain viable as their print businesses recede. Time erected a paywall on Entertainment Weekly last month and aims to spread that to other publications in its stable this summer, according to Digiday. An important note is that Time “is looking as much to the registration data as the hard cash it hopes to shake out of consumers.” After reading 10 articles, visitors will have to submit their email addresses and preferences in order to continue, first-party data that Time suspects advertisers will covet.
The Price Of Loyalty
Mobile marketing costs keep growing, according to Fiksu’s data. The app marketing platform says its cost per loyal user hit $2.74 in April, an 80% jump YoY. “While April represented another expensive month for mobile, it's also an example of the heightened focus on strategic mobile spending by leading brands," said Fiksu CEO Micah Adler. Read the release.
- Kate Shepherd Named EVP Content At Contend - Deadline
- Grey London Promotes Bill Scott And Natalie Graeme - The Drum
- Politico Hires Dell's Managing Editor To Build A 'Brand Journalism' Team - Ad Age
But Wait, There’s More!
- Mobile Therapy Anyone? - The Drift
- Gmail Now Has 900M Active Users, 75% On Mobile - TechCrunch
- Morgan Stanley Backs Ad Tech Startup GumGum In Prep For IPO - WSJ
- Headway Digital And WSI Partner For Local Programmatic Solutions - press release
- Nielsen Launches Digital Ad Ratings In China - press release
- Q&A: Chris O’Hara On The Current State Of ‘Programmatic Branding’ - Econsultancy
- A Framework For Measuring Native Advertising Campaigns - B2C
- Patch.com Taps OpenX For Programmatic Selling - MediaPost
- Digital First Content Firms Primed For Programmatic TV, SMG’s Delaney - Beet.TV
- Altitude Digital & Integral Ad Science Partner To Filter Non-Human Traffic - press release