Here's today's AdExchanger.com news round-up... Want it by email? Sign-up here.
Better Safe Than Sorry
Omnicom has implemented new brand safety checks to vet YouTube videos for hateful content. The tool uses automated scanning and human oversight to score and whitelist content on the platform. Like WPP, which last week announced a YouTube brand safety deal with social video analytics company OpenSlate, Omnicom wants to reverse Google’s reactive vetting process by proactively blacklisting content before it’s up for sale. "When you're talking about almost infinite pools of inventory, the historic approach has been the elimination of bad seeds," said Jon Anselmo, chief digital officer at Omnicom. "That's never going to be sufficient." More at Ad Age.
The skinny bundle market is getting kinda fat. Verizon will launch its own live OTT cable network this summer with “dozens of channels,” Bloomberg reports. The bundle will be accessible via mobile, tablet and OTT devices, competing with the likes of AT&T’s DirecTV Now and Dish Network’s Sling TV. The bundle is separate from go90, a Netflix-like streaming service Verizon offers subscribers that’s picked up only about 2 million monthly users despite an outlay of $200 million in programming costs. Verizon didn’t say how much the new bundle will cost or if it plans to package it with phone and internet services.
PII, Brought To You By ISPs
The imminent removal of handcuffs from ISPs could improve match rates by adding reliable home address, credit card and mobile location data to the digital ad market. “The ISPs could become walled gardens three through seven,” media consultant Matt Prohaska tells Ross Benes at Digiday. “The business incentives for sharing haven’t yet outweighed the incentives for keeping the control to yourself.” More.
But Wait, There’s More!
- Be Wary Of Buying Ads On Reddit - Adland
- Tencent Expands WeChat’s Ecommerce Platform In Europe - Financial Times
- Net Neutrality Is Trump’s Next Target, Administration Says - NYT
- GroupM’s Rob Norman: Programmatic, Guilty Until Proven Innocent - Campaign
- Adform Leverages Drawbridge For Cross-Device Identity Solution - release
- How Will Consumers React To The Removal Of Data Protections? - eMarketer
- Chinese Tech Firm leEco’s $2 Billion Vizio Acquisition Stalled - CNBC
- Connatix Launches Platform Focused On Brand Safety - release
- Checking In With Niche, The Twitter-Owned Influencer Network - Adweek
- Velos Media Adds Licensing Tech For High-Efficiency Video Coding - release
- Global VR Market Heading To $60 Billion - MediaPost
- Amazon And Walmart Are In A Price War That’s Terrifying CPGs - Recode
- Reputation Institute Ranks Most Highly Regarded US Brands - release
- Samsung, Apple Intensify Battle For Smartphone Users - WSJ