Here's today's AdExchanger.com news round-up... Want it by email? Sign-up here.
You Listening, Internet?
Time Warner’s Turner Broadcasting unit says it will begin reducing commercial minutes across its channels, according to Steven Perlberg at The Wall Street Journal. Don’t necessarily expect a revenue drop-off, as the networks are pitching the scarcer ads by saying “it will be a premium value, and there will be a premium price associated with it,” according to Turner ad exec Joe Hogan. There’s a growing sense that fewer ads will pay higher dividends for TV broadcasters. Read on.
Once the market bellwether, AOL email has fizzled into obscurity. But the company announced on Wednesday the return of Alto, its account management system, because even if nobody uses an AOL email address, people still might need a product to help manage their profligate personal, business and throwaway accounts. Yahoo also recently unveiled a major overhaul of its email account services. It isn’t just new players like Slack that see an opportunity to capture business and personal email management in a single app as users migrate to mobile.
There’s Data Everywhere
Verizon has put huge resources into its cross-channel measurement capabilities recently, and now you can add a whole new channel the company plans to bring into its data collective: Internet of Things. “We really believe the (IoT) market is underserved," said Mike Lanman, Verizon SVP of enterprise products, about the lack of big-name interest in the space. (Alphabet would probably disagree.) According to Maureen Morrison at Ad Age, expect Verizon to focus on products that will allow them to pull data from connected devices, including cars, kitchen appliances and health care. More.
Mobile DSP On A Hiring Spree
Adelphic is beefing up its ranks. The mobile DSP announced three high-profile hires on Wednesday – Nick Mills as GM of EMEA (formerly Facebook’s head of sales for Atlas in the UK); Gina Kim as VP of biz dev (joining from Oracle, where she served as head of DMP sales for the marketing cloud); and Yael Avidan as VP of product (coming off a product director stint at Yahoo). Adelphic co-founder and Chief Strategy Officer Jennifer Lum told AdExchanger the hires are part of the company’s plan to expand its cross-device features and open up global access to new data sets and channels beyond mobile, desktop and connected TV.
- Mondelez Shakes Up Senior Marketing Team - The Drum
But Wait, There’s More!
- Index Exchange Partners With Moat On Publisher Viewability - press release
- Ad Blocking: More Like Ad Blockheads - Media Village
- YouTube Red Will Pay Vloggers During Ad-Free Trial Period - The Drum
- Data As Competitive Advantage - white paper
- ISSUU Adds Buy Buttons For Digital Magazines - IBT
- Why Dannon Is Betting Big On Programmatic Video - Adweek
- Apple Releases Developer Guidelines For Apple News Format - MacRumors
- MIT Researchers Used Wi-Fi To Recognize People Through Walls - The Verge
- Wearable Usage Will Grow By Nearly 60% This Year - eMarketer