Here's today's AdExchanger.com news round-up... Want it by email? Sign-up here.
IAB Talks Native
The IAB is stepping into the native ads standardization process, releasing a playbook for publishers, agencies and marketers. According to the IAB, the six formats considered native advertising are: in-feed units, paid search units, recommendation widgets, promoted listings, IAB standard ads with “native” element units and custom. There will be a workshop in March to further address the native ad landscape. Read the release.
TechCrunch's John Constine says his sources tell him Twitter retargeting is on its way. He adds, "The secret sauce of Twitter’s retargeting is the use of your account as a cross-device identity layer, allowing it to target ads on mobile based on where you’ve been on the web." Read more on how it may work. Triggit CEO Zach Coelius tells Constine, "Twitter is in a unique position because people log in on both the web and phone."
Big data giant Acxiom and media agency Starcom MediaVest Group (SMG) have swung a long-term deal in which SMG will be the first agency to use Acxiom’s new Audience Operating System (AOS). In the DMP competitive set, Acxiom positions its AOS differentiation as the collection and aggregation of both online and offline data. With the Acxiom and SMG deal, the two companies hope to work together to develop new data-sharing applications that will work with AOS. Read more.
Germany-based Internet portal company United Internet Media is collaborating with AppNexus to create an exchange, the company announced. Germany has a rapidly growing real-time advertising marketing, and the IDC predicts it will account for one in five euros spent on display ads by 2015. The United Internet portals include GMX, WEB.DE, mail.com (all mail service) and 1&1. Read the release.
Spider.io has been working to uncover the truth about the unscrupulous practice of buying and selling fraudulent traffic. Its latest effort is an in-depth look at how bots infect a computer, falsely interact with Web pages and, ultimately, interact with ads. Spider.io calls out what it sees at the offenders taking part in traffic fraud. Read more.
After taking a closer look at data-driven marketing, Upstream Group empresario Doug Weaver concludes…he’s not so impressed. There are still some lingering issues that make the ecosystem more like a karaoke bar than a concert (his analogy). Some of the major hurdles are an overreliance on retargeting, lack of quality in third-party data, fraud and cross-platform issues. Read the post.
A new GigaOM research report by Lydia Loizides focuses on LinkedIn’s business strategy post-IPO, especially since it didn’t meet expectations in Q3 2013. The report looks at LinkedIn’s focus on its product, its disregard for talent solutions and its acquisition strategy. Read the report (subscription).
According to research done by Millward Brown Digital and published in Adweek, mobile shoppers visit more retailer sites than those on a PC and are more likely to shop around. Mobile shoppers are also most active on the weekends and at night, but tablet users prefer that platform over mobile at home. Read more.
- Instagram Business Lead Emily White to Be Named COO of Snapchat - AllThingsD
- LiveFyre hires new VP of Product - press release
- Centro Brand Exchange Adds Maggie Wells as VP of Publisher Development - press release
But Wait, There’s More!
- Exclusive: Xaxis APAC Lead Michel de Rijk On Merger With 24/7 Media - Campaign Asia
- What Programmatic Buying Means For The Small Business Market - Street Fight
- Appia Launches Native Ads for App Discovery - press release
- Ad Execs: Programmatic Fueling Demand For Video - MediaPost
- Advertising: London’s Unique Selling Point (subscription) - Financial Times
- Traditional Media Can't Compete With Your Content - LinkedIn
- Amazon Misses The Mark With Unoptimized Black Friday Email - Mobile Commerce Daily
- Rubicon Project Reports Initial Success of Private Exchange for Mobile Ads - press release
- BuzzFeed Said to Forecast Sales of Up to $120 Million in ’14 - Businessweek
- Capgemini and Pivotal Partner on Big Data and Analytics Solutions - Destination CRM