Here's today's AdExchanger.com news round-up... Want it by email? Sign-up here.
Not Quite Programmatic
There’s a lot of hype around programmatic TV. Adam Gaynor, VP of media sales and analytics at Dish, acknowledges that his company is still in the “crawl phase.” Dish launched a programmatic exchange in 2015 for addressable inventory with Rocket Fuel, TubeMogul and DataXu [AdExchanger coverage], but programmatic TV is still more about targeting and addressability than it is about real-time bidding. “If we can take the same impressions we use for addressable and expose them in a platform where data can be matched automatically for buyers to buy addressable impressions quicker, that is what we see as potentially the future,” Gaynor said. More. Related: Dish’s SlingTV OTT bundle is adding local terrestrial channels through a hybrid streaming/broadcast device. TechCrunch has that story.
McFarland Moves On
Josh McFarland, who came to Twitter after it acquired his company TellApart, is on his way out. McFarland will join the VC firm Greylock Partners, which backed TellApart. “I’m so proud of what team @tellapart has accomplished since we combined forces, and Twitter is stronger because we are #oneteam,” McFarland wrote in a multi-part tweet. Twitter paid a massive amount for TellApart just over a year ago. It’s not clear if Twitter ever fully integrated the retargeter. Related: Twitter’s CTO, Adam Messinger, is leaving too. He tweeted: “After 5 years I’ve decided to leave Twitter and take some time off.”
The marketing analytics firm Datorama announced an integration with Amazon’s Alexa voice service, dubbed “Ask Datorama Anything,” for enterprise purposes. “The modern marketer can [now] intuitively understand critical marketing information and trigger workflows at their desk, within meetings or in the boardroom,” the company pitches in a release. Really, it’s fairly gimmicky (but not a bad play, considering how many clients probably have an Alexa device sitting around the office). "Ask Datorama: What is my top-performing campaign by clicks in the last week?" is one prompt, for example. More at Ad Age.
WhatsApp With That?
But Wait, There’s More!
- At War With Snapchat, Instagram Arms Itself With Stickers - WSJ
- eMarketer Slashes Growth Outlook For Wearables - eMarketer
- Transitioning Video Ads From Flash To HTML5 - IAB
- Mobile Video Advertising Platform LoopMe Joins The TAG Registry - release
- Alphabet’s Google Is Searching For Its Next Hit - The Economist
- Hawaii Tourism Authority Taps Immersv VR Marketing Platform - release
- AI Will Make It Easier Than Ever To Fake Images And Video - The Verge
- Verto Analytics Reports 300% Increase In Monthly Revenue - release
- Digital Media Spend Dips And Football Takes A Hit - MediaPost
- Opera Software To Develop Remaining Business Rather Than Sell - Reuters
- IAB, MRC And MMA Propose Updates To Ad Measurement Guidelines - release