"Programmatic buying is a combination of two things: the ability to discover and assign a value to media; and the mechanism to buy it with insights-based rules. Can it build a brand by itself? Of course not. And certainly not the way many folks see programmatic buying; as a race to remnant. Or a replacement for 'strategy.' You don't build a brand by finding a better CPM.
But if you're trying to build a plan using only custom buys; well, good luck. Yes, you need this foundation of rich, immersive elements in tentpole media. Content is king and all that. But the fact is, programmatic buying is now essential to building a brand – or really delivering on any measurable objective – in digital media.
Here's three ways how:
Prime Your Campaign: Run some exchange media before the big launch to create a custom pool of users who you know will want to engage with your brand. And use those insights to adjust your site list or creative executions.
Find the Diamonds: Reach your target in all those quality nooks and crannies that are impossible to buy direct.
Top it Off: Building takes bricks, and bricks mean frequency. Use programmatic buying to invert the deadly "U-curve" of digital frequency distribution, ensuring that the majority of your audience – not just the mathematical average – gets effective exposure.
No one tactic can build your brand. But no branding strategy is complete if you can't evaluate and activate the same way your customers do: in real time."
Gaston Legorburu, Worldwide Chief Creative Officer at Sapient
"The short answer is: yes, but it's not ideal. It's like asking, 'Can a one-arm man win a boxing match?' Yes, if the one-arm dude is amazing, and the other guy is not. But that's not a bet I'd like to take.
On one hand, optimization mechanisms can yield tremendous competitive advantages but, on the flip side, it can create too much parity for a brand marketer.
For example, the first credit card marketer who leveraged automated, multivariate creative optimization and programmatic ad buying smiled all the way to the bank. He killed the competition. That was until all of his competitors did the same. Now, every ad looks the same, and they buy the same media. That's not a great way to differentiate your brand.
I always tell my teams to care about message, medium, and audience as an ecosystem. The insightful and smart use of each of those elements - or the relationship between them - can help a brand break though the clutter and connect with consumers. A great story, an engaging experience, or an innovative use of media can work independently, but it's more likely that some combination of those will work best.
I truly believe you can't build a brand though a spreadsheet alone… you need to be creative… but, man, those spreadsheets are handy. Don't be outfoxed by the marketer who has one. I vote for a healthy mix of marketing magic and marketing science."
Michael Winter, Managing Director Digital Strategy, PHD Media
"The killer application of programmatic buying is going to be in developing brands. What has made it such a powerful response tactic will be what helps it for brand advertisers. Branding at a 'one-to-one' level at scale based on consumer insights -- by leveraging their affinity for a product or a competitive product, tapping into a consumer's motivations and interests, and then programming that into the media and creative to deliver a powerful and personalized communication platform -- will help marketers as they continue to pivot towards storytelling.
Brands that look to build themselves not on reach and by delivering mass amounts of impressions but by cultivating audiences and developing relationships through leveraging data to help sequence creative or pulling in insights on a previous impression that then informs the next message will help create a relevance and connection between brands and consumers that will naturally lead to higher persuasion and brand metrics."
More AdExchanger "Industry Reactions"...
- Can It Be Done? Local, Direct, Automated Ads
- The Impact Of No More Third-Party Cookie Targeting In Firefox
- House Ads - What Are They Good For?
- What is "Premium"?
- When Is A Startup No Longer A Startup?
- Why Is Procurement Necessary?
- Agency CEOs: 2013 Planning Is About Mobile Integration
- Can You Build a Brand in Programmatic Media?
- How Do Native Advertising and Real-Time Bidding Meet?
- Why Target The Tablet?
- The Publisher Impact Of Facebook Exchange And Ad Network
- Agencies Upbeat on Tying Facebook to Cross-Channel Ads
- Are Advertisers Living the Dream of Unified Marketing and IT?
- What Next For Yahoo?
- What Counts as 'Scale' in Hyperlocal? Mobile Ad Players Weigh In
- Facebook Buys Instagram – What’s In It For Ads?
- Are Ad Servers Specifically For Publishers Or Advertisers Still Necessary?
- How Will The iPad 3 Impact Audience Buying Available Through The iPad?
- Will The Merger Of DDS And MediaBank Into Mediaocean Benefit Media Buying?
- Will SSPs and Ad Networks Sell Publisher Inventory Through DoubleClick Ad Exchange?
- The Industry 'Take' On SAS Acquiring aiMatch
- Industry Impressions Of Facebook Display Advertising
- What Are The Hurdles In Cross-Digital, Audience Buying?
- When Is A Mobile, Private Exchange Relevant To A Marketer's Needs?
- Your Ad Server, My Ad Server: Trends With Discrepancies Today
- The Opportunities Ahead For New Yahoo! CEO Scott Thompson – Industry Reaction
- Predictions 2012
- Industry Reaction: Adobe Acquires Efficient Frontier
- Yahoo! Requiring RMX Seats For DSP Advertisers
- Yahoo!, Aol And Microsoft Pool Their Premium, Non-Guaranteed Display Inventory
- Whats The Biggest Challenge With Platform Buying In Digital Today?
- Industry Reaction: Yahoo! Acquires interclick For $270 Million
- How Important Is -First Look- At Inventory?
- Where Does The Tablet Fit In The Marketer Media Plan?
- MediaBank-DDS Merger Industry Reaction: Questions Remain About MediaOcean
- Is An Online GRP Needed For Online Video Advertising?
- What Should Yahoo Do Next?
- What Solutions Are Still Needed For The Premium, Digital Publisher of Today?
- How Do Search Marketers Overcome The Creative Challenge In Graphical, Display Advertising?
- What Is The Difference Between A Social Display Impression And A Regular Display Impression?
- Is Audience Buying Possible In Mobile Advertising?
- What Are The Key Metrics For Brand Awareness Campaigns In An Automated Buying Environment?
- What Is The Biggest Challenge With The Demand-Side Platform Model?