Rik van der Kooi, Corporate Vice President, Advertiser and Publisher Solutions Group for Microsoft, offers his views.
2012 will be a year in which major trends converge to bring us closer to the long-heralded digital economy. These trends include:
- Multi-device and multi-modal offerings will become first-class citizens. A shift towards mobile form factors, the appification of the web, and emerging forms of interaction with media through voice, gesture and touch will create new opportunities for marketers. Brands that deliver solutions across all formats will win.
- There will be a meaningful shift towards end-to-end solutions for marketers, at the expense of standard advertising. Related to that, a growing opportunity will emerge to enable closed-loop digital connections directly between brands/merchants and consumers. Digital ad solutions that act as real “commerce enablers” will occupy first-chair status.
- Social will evolve to become a means to an end, not an end in itself.
All of these trends have a common catalyst: a popular "uprising" among digital consumers. Users will expect more in 2012 – and marketers will have a growing need to reach them directly with clear, evocative messaging. If not a “never been seen before” moment, this acceleration of digital empowerment by consumers will be a watershed event for the industry.
Read more predictions:
- Cross-Platform Display Is Going From Niche to Mainstream In 2012 Says Google's Mohan
- For 2012, A Shift Towards The End-To-End Solution For Marketers Says Microsoft's van der Kooi
- True Premium Is Going To Change The Way We Think Says Yahoo! Levinsohn
- Pay-For-Performance Time Has Come Says IPG Mediabrands Global CEO Seiler
- Disintermediation and Frenemy Dropped From The Advertising Lexicon In 2012 Says VivaKi CEO Klues
- Consolidation And Clarification In Premium, Independent Web For 2012 Says Federated's Battelle
- Real-Time Bidding Capitulation And Ad Tech Acquisitions By Agencies In 2012 Says Fox News Steinberg
- Just Don't Tell Me Its Completely New In 2012 Says Inadco COO Zinman
- A Digital Creative Revolution Will Ignite In 2012 Says IAB CEO Rothenberg
- Agencies To Reap The Benefits Of Behaving More Like Silicon Valley In 2012 Says 4A's Prez Nancy Hill
- At Some Point In The Future There Won't Be Digital Ad Agencies Says ANA's Duggan